As the renovation at MisAdventures continues and the sawdust making elements diminish, I have to entertain myself by continually moving stuff around. Mind you, the kitchen is still not in – I made some last minute revisions just this week and changed out the range venting. The cabinet makers probably are not used to an old man with OCD- but these are easy going Amish folk who seem amused by my attention to detail and constant ‘what if’s”.
So on we march – one step forward, two steps back.
You may recall I ended up at the close of my last post with this arrangement. Well,..
I’ve noodled this arrangement as of today – but no guarantee it won’t change.
This was my original selection for the living room – I was happy with this.
Until I came home and this subtle hint was waiting for me. The artist is the same, so I guess I can take the hint. The original selection is a local hardware store, the new oil painting is a Cathedral in Sienna, Italy. I think it’s a girl thing – I’ll find a place for my hardware store somewhere.
Other changes – This lamp in my wife’s office was nice, but she wanted something with a little more style. OK.
This is what happens when you leave an old electrical box in the plaster ceiling – not a problem unless your wife selects a light that’s not compatible.
Three hours later, the new box is in – with plaster ceiling intact. The things we do for love – and to stay out of the dog house.
And 20 minutes later her new light illuminates her makeshift bed sheet curtains. One project at a time dear.
And the lamp from her office makes it’s way upstairs the the master bathroom. Will it stay? Hard to tell.
Hercules the plant stand also made a move from the sunroom up here as well. I think this is where he’ll stay.
Enough of musical chairs, let’s get back to building something.
I decided to use stepped oak rails to bring the iron panels up closer to code. The rails were assembled and screwed to the floors. The rails were drilled and lag bolts were used to attach to the oak. The bolts were rust treated to match the rail finish.
As usual, I put the piece in place to figure out what to do next. Freestyle design takes a little bit of trial and error.
Vertical Oak rails were added to the back and long lag bolts attach the railing into the wall studs.
I had built a pair of pine square columns, but decided these oak newel posts off the shelf were a much better design. I like the scale and keeps the railing compact.
The posts are marked and a newel post bolt is used to secure the post to the floor. The bolts are screwed at an angle into the floor joists below.
The posts are drilled and fastened to the floor.
I had some railings from the old house that I will use for the caps. The top rail height is now fully compliant to modern building codes.
I’ll use an oak base rabbeted on both sides to fit the top of the panel and also to hold the top rail in place. The newel post is scribed and cut to fit the cap to the post.
Clamps hold everything in place until the design is finalized. Still a long way to go…
Come along – pretty things to come.