The weather remains good for outside work – so I’m determined to finally get the siding done. It’s taken six years to get this far, but by golly we’re gonna finish it before the first snowflake falls.
I’ve got the light up over the door – a couple of problems here – One – it’s too big, so we’ll relocate this to the garage when I reside that. Two – I placed the block too high and the arm hit the fascia. Here I’ve already cut out the old block and electric box, lowered it down 6″ and made a new finish block.
Once each wall is finished I caulk all the seams and hand brush two coats of paint. The first coat of paint was sprayed before the pieces were installed. The hand brushing really makes a richer finish – well, in my opinion it does and of course it’s a lot more work.
When I have a long run of trim that can’t be finished with one piece, I like to add a detail to make the trim sections look more finished. Because the AZEK soffit trim is only 18′ long and I needed 22′ – I used a trim block centered between the windows to make the seam look intentional.
AZEK is a really nice material, but it’s prone to movement from thermal expansion. It can move 1/4″ depending on the temperature. I placed thin AZEK caps over the main gable joints to hide the seam. The bottoms of the gable trim are glued and fastened, so any movement happens behind this cap.
More to come – stick around.