A Week at the (mis)Adventures project

I usually don’t post until I have something done – but as the weather gets better it seems projects are happening in the basement, first floor, upstairs and outside at the same time.1 new lightIn the living room I debated what light fixture to use in the center of the room. I had this 25″ stained glass lamp in my present home so I popped it in here to see how it would look. I also added a ceiling medallion that is the same diameter.

14 door handleThe bead design in the medallion matches the detail in the door plates.

2 living roomThe fixture has white and green stained glass with clear cabochon jewels. I like the fact that the shape of the shade and colors mirror the ginkgo windows. I’ll put whiter LED bulbs in the fixture. I looks yellow because of the old tungsten bulbs. But not 100%  sure. What do you think? Should I keep this or go with a traditional crystal chandelier?

3 sub panelDown to the basement – I added a new sub panel for the basement circuits. I’ll wire all the basement electric to this panel. The original just didn’t have enough spaces for the steam shower and other stuff down here. Also the egress window is shown ready for installation – as soon as I cut the window hole in the foundation. And that black cast iron waste pipe is gonna go too – as soon as I dig a pit for the pipes outside. It’s always something…

4 roofing in progressAnd the one rain free day (yesterday) the old roof was torn off.

6 New RoofAnd the new roof went on. Finally the roof is on and I can start on the final details and siding outside.

5 Alpha Omega ContractingI have worked with a lot of contractors on this project. I do most of the work around here – but have sub contracted the plumbing and foundation work in the past – some with not too great results. For the roofing for my home and the Gallery, I chose my friend Bill Combs with Alpha-Omega Contracting to do my roofs. I want to highly recommend him for any project. I think those that follow along will know how particular I am with everything dealing with this house, and Bill was even more demanding that every element was well done. I should know, as I was on the roof too. I can’t thank him enough for putting up with my specific demands of my special copper chimney flashings and my newly installed Azek trim shows barely a scratch. When the crew was done you couldn’t tell they were ever there. So a big A+ for Alpha-Omega Contracting.

Lets hope the rest of this renovation goes as smoothly.

Advertisements

Building Sunroom Bookcases part 2

The only good thing about my accident was that it made it easier to post closer to real time – these posts are timely (like in last week) – I’m still working on them, so any faux pas are gonna show up here. Let’s continue with the bookcases.  The design of which is still developing.

1 back pannelAfter seeing the cases up next to the wall, I decided to add a back. Lots of this casework uses the wall surface as the back. Being me, I didn’t want any gaps or irregularities at the back of the bookcases, so a 1/4″ luan plywood back is painted and added.

2 bookcases upThe boxes are test fit one more time before they are fastened together.

3 attaching bookcasesThe individual boxes are clamped and screwed together from underneath. I use a lot of clamps – always a good idea, and a necessity if you work by yourself. I made individual elements because it was just easier to layout the casework – it could have been made in two pieces, but the separate boxes made it easier to fit to the windows.

4 drywall 2nd wallThe cases are in place and the bottom sides for the center case are attached. The drywall panel is added in the middle that creates the return air ducts.

5 trim startedThe face frame trim is being added, as well as the base for the crown.

6 crown trimNow we throw a little crown trim up and think about what to do with that center case design.

7 meter base removalSo while I’m thinking about that – let’s hop outside and remove the electrical off the roof and get the siding stripped. I had the power company out to disconnect the overhead wires and put in a saw drop. (see last picture for explanation).

8 siding removal startI’ll be running the power underground instead of overhead. The siding has to come off to put up plywood sheathing and a new Azek meter base before the siding is installed.

9 center bookcase startNow back inside, as I think I’ve figured out in my head what the design will be for the center casework. The panel clamped at the top will be the return air chamber – air grilles will be added to the top, so they will not be visible in the room.

10 panel frameA bottom panel is fabricated with pocket screws and routed for two recessed panels for detail. You see that crazy cutout sheet of plywood in the background? I never throw anything away (or cut it down) that might be used later. That sheet yielded two perfect sized panels for this project.

11 panel frame in placeThen a test fit of the bottom panel.

12 center trim mock upStarting a mock-up of how to deal with the trim. Stumped again – time to go out and mess with the siding.

13 eave detailI’ve been procrastinating this part, so I saved it for the end of the day. The old aluminum soffits are removed to reveal this mess.

14 eave removal in progressIt’s dirty, dusty and not fun – but we’ll get rid of all this gunk from 1935.

15 back of houseThe back stripped of siding. The electrical is removed, along with the air conditioners. You see the saw drop to the right – all power to the house and garage are coming from extension cords plugged into the pole.

Not bad for a day’s work – now if I can just figure out that bookcase…stay tuned and we’ll come up with something.