Working on the Old House #17 Bathroom Deuxième Partie

The second post on the bathroom – thought I would make this one a little more classy by throwing in a couple of French words via Google Translate. Won’t help this bathroom, but worth a shot.

As I noted above, it will take more than a couple of French words to make la salle de bains usable. Here the linoleum is ripped up and the non asbestos black mastic is leveled out.

We turn our attention to the large air supply register that is as ugly as it is puzzling why it was put there originally. (It was actually put there for the original gravity fed coal fired furnace)

So we pop that out before we repair the floors.

So to keep this post’s images to a minimum and not bore everyone, here is the new duct work run from the original location to a vent under the vanity location.

After test fitting the ducts, the old register opening is reinforced and filled level with the existing floor.

I’m posting this in sequence, so that is why the abrupt departure from flooring work and we stand up to address the single pane window situation.

We’ll replace this with a nice insulated unit, so out goes the old and then I can get accurate measurements to order in a new one.

And since it will take several weeks, we secure the window opening with a theft deterrent cardboard box. Now we move to the left – over to the medicine cabinet.

The small medicine cabinet location and the electrical receptacle will need to be reworked, along with that sad little light bar above.

But let’s get back to the floor and put in a new underlayment.

Now with a nice clean floor we can get back to the sink wall.

I went out and got a small vanity that would fit the space. I needed to verify the locations of the plumbing and electrical before we close up the wall.

And, as is usually the case – I’m way off on all counts. I ran the plumbing through the original holes in the wall cavity. Not going to work as-is. Time to get out the plumbing tools and make some revisions.

So after a few new solder joints and PVC drain adjustments, we’re ready to move one – and the house didn’t burn down – always a plus in my book.

Looked up and saw this guy – probably wondering why I keep reworking the plumbing.

The new medicine cabinet is a little larger, so a rework is in order. On these old plaster lath homes you have to be careful to not damage the back wall, or plaster repair is in your future.

A test fit to make sure the new medicine cabinet fits.

I got a call that the new window was in, so time to prepare the opening. 1/2″ PVC sill is added to the bottom. This will make an unbroken waterproof surface that the new window will sit on.

The new window fitted in place. This one has a textured glass bottom sash for privacy. It cost a little more, but I think it’s worth the price. We’ll trim this out later.

For the vanity, I added an extra panel and toe-kick vent to direct the air from our reworked ducts and register to under the vanity.

Now we have all of the rework finished. Plumbing, electrical, framing – so I’ve added back some of the cutout pieces of drywall. There would be no way to patch this and make it look good.

So we simply overlay the surface with new 1/2″ moisture resistant drywall. Clean, easy and smooth.

Now finally we turn our attention to the ceiling vent. This original didn’t vent out of the roof. So we’ll fix it right – but first we’ll just replace the old one.

The new one has a higher CFM rating, so it was larger. Hole and framing enlarged and the new fan box is in place. This again is much more involved and takes a few hours, but I’ll spare you the tedium.

The new one is much quieter and has LED lighting.

Time to end these shenanigans for now – we’ll keep marching along with this renovation that hopefully will make someone a nice home.

5 thoughts on “Working on the Old House #17 Bathroom Deuxième Partie

  1. This was actually quite fun to read – the pipe shelf for the boom box and the theft deterrent covering for the open window space were pretty interesting features. I can see that this takes a lot of creativity and problem solving!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.