February is Finished

As another month has come to a close, there hasn’t been a lot going on at the MisAdventures project. I’ve been under the weather and a little bit lazy. It’s nice to have frigid days for an excuse.

But a few projects are finally ticked off the list, so let’s get them documented, shall we?

1

We’ll go back upstairs and pick up on the master bathroom vanity. We left it at this point, with the door panels made and the face frame ready to be fitted to the space.

2

We then test fitted the vanity face frame to make sure it fits before we continue.

3

Since I’ve covered making a vanity from left over wood here I thought we would skip the details, as it’s nearly identical the the linked post. I’ve painted the vanity with BM Sterling, the same color as the walls. It’s then finished with several coats of Varathane water-base clear for protection. My wife wanted wider center drawers that turned out to be a problem for the top drawer/sink clearance, but I’ll adjust for that – perhaps in March or April.

4

On the opposite side of the room I’ve got the sit down vanity shelf and drawer in place between the two closets.

5

The counters were installed and are now waiting for me to tile the surround. Perhaps in March or April.

6

This is the second set of sink faucets for the bathroom. My first attempt didn’t allow enough clearance between the counters and the mirrors…you’ll see.

7

Because of the build up of the floor height and the counter height vanity, I have less clearance and needed the low profile faucets to make it work. Live and learn. Here I’m finishing up the plumbing – actually I’m taking a picture – but I was finishing up the plumbing.

8

And to make it a little more interesting the sinks are different sizes. I stayed in a hotel that had a large and small sink and thought it would work with this 5 foot wide vanity. You know who gets the little sink – ( I’m raising my hand). It works pretty well, with more room for my wife’s nightly doo-dad skin cream washing the face – and other aesthetic gymnastics. Me I just brush my teeth.

9

Still more to do up here, like tiling the mirror area. Something perhaps I’ll do in March or April..do you see a pattern here? The counters are quartz instead of natural stone that I have in the kitchen. The new quartz looks like natural stone and is low maintenance.

10

The other item checked off the list is the staircase to the second floor. The antique railings and handrails are finished and in place.

11

The floors are finished and I just need to get a presentable curtain by the tub. The bed sheet with painters tape is not quite the design statement I’m going for. The windows are tinted and you can’t see inside during the day – but at night I prefer not to show off to the neighbors. Something perhaps I’ll do in March or April..not the showing off part – getting the new window shades.

12

 

Final prep and painting of the risers. As I covered earlier, I drilled pocket screws holes in the stringers to fasten the treads from underneath.

13

The treads were attached with an ample application of PL glue on the stringers and Kreg screws were used the fasten the treads.

4910_b-bfb989ce-2750-4181-86f1-f6831f341b4b

I wanted to attach the back of each stair tread to the riser but didn’t want to use a glue that might mar the face of the risers. After a little research I used a 3-M VHB (Very High Bond) tape on the back of each tread. It was then fastened with 6 screws that were pre drilled in the riser and fastened from the back. They use this tape to hold glass windows in skyscrapers, so I thought it would work for my application. It makes for a very solid squeak free staircase. The tape is not only incredibly strong, it isolates the tread from the riser preventing any squeaks.

14

The first tread was the only one I couldn’t screw to the stringer, so it was PL glued in place and weights applied for a couple of days. VHB tape and screws were used at the back.

15

The final three treads from the mudroom into the kitchen were also installed. So we finally finished something!

And March is here and hopefully in the next few weeks it will be warm enough to get out the tile saw and get to work. We shall see…yes we will.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “February is Finished

  1. Love the way the three stair treads wrap around the wood work on the open side … such a lovely detail! Have a better March! I hope to get back to blogging one of these days.

    • Hi D’Arcy! Yes, back to blogging. I know what you mean, I’m knee deep in projects so finding the time is always a challenge. Happy Spring!

  2. Beautiful work, as always, Curt. I wasn’t aware of that 3-M VHB tape. I can see lots of potential applications for that product. What sort of solvent will loosen it, in case of errors?

    • Hey Dan! Sorry for the late reply. The tape worked well on the stairs and has made a very solid staircase. From 3-M they say the following:
      The adhesive residue can be wet with a solvent then covered with a plastic film and allowed to soak for 5-15 minutes. Once the adhesive is softened, use a scrapper to remove the adhesive. Solvents to use include:
      • 3M™ Citrus Base Cleaner • Automotive Bug-and Tar remover
      • MEK (Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone) • Other commercial adhesive removers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.