The blog post has been pretty quiet around the Misadventures project – not because of lack of activity, but because it’s still not to the pretty stages yet. I have projects in the basement, 1st floor and second floor too – hence the blog title.
First the basement stuff.
The steam shower framing is done. The sloped ceiling is framed and all the plumbing is in. All this has to be finished before the walls get spray foam.
Of course to make it more complicated and expensive I’ve run Cat5e and coax everywhere. It home-runs back to this structured wire cabinet in the basement.
I use ladders and bar clamps to hold the wire spools while I pull the wires from one floor to the next. Some are in conduits and some are not. Extra lines are run for stuff I didn’t think about.
In the kitchen I’m finally getting around to mocking up some layouts. I need to know where to run lighting and speaker controls as well as gas lines and all the other things that go into the kitchen. It’s a modified galley that allows traffic to avoid the cooking area. More on this in later posts.
Upstairs I’m laying out the bathroom window wall in my traditional freestyle design technique – lay some sticks against the wall. Good enough.
1st the window jambs are made and the corners are routed to make a stronger straighter corner.
The side casings are added and the top is measured and cut.
The ‘U’ shaped casing is glued and pocket screwed together on the back to make a nice tight joint. The bottom will have a marble sill.
A preliminary fitting is made with 3/4″ pine. I didn’t use poplar here because I want some grain to show through the final finish.
My original idea was to continue the banding to mimic the doors. One thinner top band and one thicker lower band. But it made the room look too squatty, so I pitched this idea and the lumber I already cut. Another design faux pas.
The wood panels are cut for the field areas. Sometimes people use the drywall as the field, but I want a finish that shows the wood grain, so I used a 1/4″ birch ply panel.
The panel and battens in place. The white tub sits in front of this window so I wanted some contrast in this white room.
I painted the wall with BM Shaker Gray with a Pearl finish. The paint color matched the grey veining in the porcelain tile border. The paint was thinned 5:1 with water and then hand sanded lightly to show some of the grain and texture. The wall was then roller painted with Verathane waterbase satin diamond clear to get a smooth finish with a little sheen.
So a little progress on the pretty side, not much, but I promise I’ll get to that in the next few months.