It seems I can’t walk outside without grabbing a shovel and digging a hole. I’m sure there’s some medical (or psychological) condition causing this malady. But if I’m going to have the yard graded and seeded, we better dig all the holes we need now.
Let’s start with these strange creatures. The old sewer system in this neighborhood combined the storm sewers with the sanitary sewer system. The gutter downspouts drained into this system. It’s now illegal to do this because it causes all the rainwater dumped in the sanitary sewer to be processed at the sewage treatment plant. If there is a large rainstorm, the sewage can actually overflow and be dumped into the nearby Ohio river – definitely not a good thing. These are Fernco caps I made up to cap the sewer tile. If you go here you can see a simpler version. I had to make these up because I couldn’t find a cap to fit the clay tile pipe locally.
The caps are slipped over the tile and the stainless steel band is tightened. I should have done this years ago. In the summer when the sewer lines dry out, the sewer gas will come up through these pipes and it stinks like…well, you know what I mean. These are buried with dirt and you’re done.
The other problem is the sump pump discharge pipe came out of the ground close to the back door. It’s the little white pipe laying on the ground. I also wanted to run the gutter for the door side of the mudroom away from the concrete – to avoid an ice skating rink in the winter.
At the sump pump outlet I started the layout of tying the outlet into the gutter drain. I’ll have to wait for the gutters to be installed to find the exact location of the downspout. I used 4″ PVC sewer drain pipe joined with a 3″ PVC adapter to a 1 1/2″ X 3″ Wye.
I used a Flo-Well Dry well. Here it’s wrapped with landscape fabric to keep dirt out of the holes in the side of the well.
The white pipe on the top is to allow for a pop up drain. If the 49 gallon well fills up, the pop up valve will let the water out of the top. I haven’t installed this part – I’m using the pipe just to locate the well for the excavators when the yard is graded.
The well sits in a 6′ deep pit that has a 2′ gravel bed. The bottom of the well is open, which allows the water to drain into the soil. This is good, because I was able to save the original water well and we will have well water to water the gardens.
The gutters were installed and this allows me to locate the exact location of the downspout.Here everything is tied together. A flexible Fernco connector connects the sump pump pipe through the foundation to the dry well drain. The downspout will be attached to the drain. A debris strainer will be added in the downspout to collect anything that might clog the drains.
Today it’s raining like crazy, so we’ll finish this up – along with concrete air conditioner pads when the weather breaks.