Final Frontier – as in the last pieces of plywood sheathing are up! Sorry for the long delay, but I have been working non-stop everyday – and there’s lots going on here at Misadventures. Master bath, stone cladding, waterproofing – wow, I’m one tired puppy.
But let’s finish up the exterior sheathing so we can start getting pretty stuff on this blog.
Turning the corner into the home stretch – I’ve started removing the AZEK window surrounds that I put on a couple of years ago – because? Lack of planning. I’ll make another set.
The new window surrounds are made like the first ones – the four pieces are cut and joined with AZEK glue – regular PVC glue will work, but I found that the bond strength seems better with the AZEK glue.
The pieces are assembled with a Kreg Jig. After the frame is joined a little silicone is applied to the pockets to keep water out.
Kind of a detour – I forgot to mention that all inside wall intersections get an aluminum flashing – here is one piece formed ready to be installed at the junction of stone and siding trim at the back of the house.
The frames are attached with Cortex Screws. These plugs are hammered in flush and they almost are invisible. All the trim will be painted, so they will really be hard to spot. There is a 3/8″ gap between the aluminum window frame and the AZEK trim to allow movement. A foam backer will be inserted in the space and then caulked.
We’ll jump up to the master bath for the next post. Stick around, we might get to something worth looking at this year!