Well, we are almost to a spot to move on to other things in this renovation. Oh, it’ll still be the same room, but we’ll get off the ladder for a while and trim out windows and build a built in bookcase/ TV doodad.
First up is getting some primer on the walls. Since this is new drywall I like to use a sealer primer. I like most of PPG’s Speedhide products for this.
I kind of got stuck on the ceiling design. As most of you know there’s not much planning around here at Adventures in Remodeling. I made the side beams and they meet at the top between a flat 2X4 ridge. So I whipped up these little soldiers to do the gap battle for me. They’re really just four 2X4 glued and nailed together to give me the width I need.
Here’s the start of filling the gaps.The blocks cover the center 2X4 and tie the two side beams together.
Next we make the center panels. Just some #2 white washed pine with a bevel edge. The holes are cut for the chandelier electrical boxes.
Now the center panels are in place and we have a gap to fill between the side beams and the center panel edge.
So I made up some little spacers and glued and nailed them in place. Then I decided I wasn’t fond of those pointy little spacers – after the glue had dried.
So I made a little template and got out the oscillating saw and cut the pointy thing off all 12 of them. Haste makes waste they say…
Then it’s time to caulk – and I’m really good at this. I use a good 100% acrylic latex painters caulk. I have projects that still look good years after caulking with that stuff.
Then all we have to do is cut up some trim boards and paint them all up pretty.
I cut the trim boards to fit between the side beams. I made them narrower in width so the side beams sat proud of the trim.
Then we add the wall trim and we can put away the ladder for a while. Oh, except for trimming out the octagonal window. Then there’s the lights on the beams – oh, and the surround sound speakers. But let’s not push my luck.
I haven’t fallen off the ladder yet –