Greetings fellow renovators and spectators. Well, the time has been slipping away again. So I made a promise to update the blog – and then failed to deliver. Not due to progress on the house – I average 10 hours a day there 7 days a week. Yikes! What an obsession. As this project has unfolded it evolved from a simple cosmetic adventure to a total, no holds barred complete reconstruction. Thus the name of “mis-directed remodeling”. But we continue…
I wanted to back up a little and address the exterior project that paralleled the window and door installation. Totally pointless to most readers, unless you are doing the same.
I instructed the framing crew to place 1/2″ CDX plywood at the intersection of the old house wall and the new roof. You can see the 2 pieces of ply with the roof flashing here. The problem was they used 5/8″ ply instead. Now 1/8″ difference might be ok for most… But not me.
I feel so much better! Don’t worry, those skanky eaves will be replaced.
The reason for all of this fiddling is that the exterior wall in this 1930 bungalow has no exterior sheathing – just the wood clapboards. The interior of the exterior walls have 3/4″ tongue and groove sheathing – so it’s built like a tank. Only on the inside.
Here’s the beautiful view my neighbors have of our project. No wonder they’re gone a lot. The original house had an unfinished upstairs – so large vents were placed on either side of the window. These were partially blocked when previous owners converted the upstairs to living space. Now I’ll do away with them all together.
Of course no remodeling is complete unless you rip off the fascia boards and rafter tails. This part is a PITA especially when you’re 20′ in the air. There’s a lot more going on here than you might realize. Since we’re changing the way the roof is vented we have to add soffit and ridge vents to properly vent the roof sheathing. It’s important this is done correctly. You can see the new vent chutes that are in place to bring air in under the roof deck to be expelled out the ridge. The rafter tails were just toe nailed into the roof rafter and were sagging badly after 70 plus years. Plus rot and insect issues. No fun. Plus no window header was installed, so that roof had to be jacked up to get a proper header in over the window.
This is the start of the fascia support. This is 1X8 pine that has been primed. If you look closely you will see the first 3 feet next to the roof is an AZEK trim board.This waterproof material will keep the rain from rotting it out. After all of the fascia is up, it will be overlaid with another 1X10 AZEK trim board to make it weather resistant.
The whole exterior of the existing building will be covered with 1/2″ CDX plywood. This will give a strong and flat base for the new siding. I made a jig on the scaffolding so I could put up 4X8 sheets of plywood solo.
The plywood also acts like a type of rain screen. The spaces between the clapboards and the back of the plywood will allow for it to dry if moisture gets in. Trapped moisture is a major problem in modern home construction. Old houses rarely had rot issues because they were so drafty and many uninsulated – water could get in and out quickly. Not so in today’s homes.
The detailing is critical on the housewrap. Always think like water. Bottom pieces go on and then the top overlaps. I was able to get the window details ok, but not perfect. Drip caps over the windows are a must.
So the saga continues….