So we’re now stuck with some blazing yellow green – ‘Lemon Pie’ wall paint as Meghan calls it. I gotta cover some of this stuff up or I’ll be blinded by the sunlight coming through all those windows.
The little gizmo just to the left and above the center window is a mechanical vent for the plumbing. I didn’t want to run a vent stack through the roof, or find a way to get it there with the vaulted ceiling. So, I’ll have to make something to hide this little eyesore. It has to be open and accessible in case it needs to be serviced or replaced.
Here you can see the boxes for two cabinets. As usual, I just put something up and see if it
sticks works. This is the first step to hide that vent. Also, you may have noticed the new stripe of drywall that’s missing. Well, I decided it would be hard for my tiny wife Francia to lean over the counter (imaginary for now) and turn off the sink light. So I moved it over to the door wall. Another freestyle design faux pas.
Drywall is being patched. You can see the start of the light bridge that joins the two cabinets. I wanted something that made the back wall a cohesive element. And see that the vent is now hidden behind the top molding base flat stock element.
You can see the crown molding being added as well as the center block for the sink light. In the foreground you can see the start of the built in ironing center. My wife didn’t know what that thing was.
Here’s a closeup of the lighting block and molding details. No wires are visible to this light. I built a chase to run the conduit between cabinet panels, so everything is covered. This is one of my favorite details in this room.
Stay tuned – I’ll tell you why in the next post.